Golden Monkey Habituation Experience and Gorilla Tracking Uganda Safari in Mgahinga National Park
This Uganda Golden monkey habituation and Trekking safari brings you an encounter with the endangered Golden monkeys and Gorillas in Mgahinga Gorilla National park in Uganda. An ultimate Primate adventure
These beautiful primates are a native of the Virunga Conservation area consisting of Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo and can be trekked in Volcanoes National park in Rwanda and Mgahinga National park in Uganda.
Golden monkeys are small, smaller than Gorillas and Chimpanzees, however their Golden color mixed with silver makes them a rare spectacle.
They spend their days feeding in Bamboo trees jumping from one to the other high in the trees.
Today, the total number of Golden monkeys are just about 4000 in the wild and as a result, they are labeled as Endangered by IUCN(International Union for Conservation of Nature) Red List.
Our safari will be focused in Mgahinga National park a home to Gorillas and the Golden monkeys.
- Day1: Equator
- Day2: Mountain Gorilla Trekking
- Day 3: Golden Monkey Trekking
- Day 3: Golden Monkey Habituation
- Day 4: Back to Kampala
Day 1: Drive to Mgahinga National Park
After and early morning breakfast, our company representative whose is your guide will meet you at your place of residence/hotel to start on a 10 hour country side journey to the west.
We then Have a break at the Equator for coffee, tea and Equator experience: The clockwise and anti clockwise of the displacement of water in the northern and southern hemispheres respectively.
We continue driving and then have a lunch stop in Mbarara the land of Milk and the home of the ANKOLE LONG HORNED CATTLE.
From lunch we continue to Kisoro (Kigezi land) an area with terraced rolling hills
We Check in our lodge and later have Dinner.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking Day
You will parade at the park offices in the morning after breakfast for briefing and registration.
From here, you will be led by a UWA ranger guide and two armed escorts in to the forest for Gorilla trekking.
This might be tough but hiking through the dense forest is an amazing experience and finding the endangered mountain gorilla will bring you to rest.
This is a very unique experience takes an hour which seems so short.
Enjoy your quality time with the gentle giants and your name will later be written in the book of records as you contributed to conserving the endangered mountain Gorilla species species.
We then return to the lodge for dinner.
Days Highlight: Gorilla trekking
Day 3: Golden Monkey Tracking and Habituation
Another great day comes again after a morning breakfast, return once again to the park offices this time around for Golden monkey.
These are also endangered type of primates only found in the Virunga conservation area, made up of Uganda, Rwanda, and D R Congo.
Gold monkey habituation does not only bring you close to these beautiful creatures but also makes sure you have enough time with them as they go through the day’s activities in your presence.
- Golden monkey habituation is 4 hours
- Cost of Golden monkey habituation Permit is $100
Upon having our experience we return to the lodge for Dinner.
Days Highlight: Golden Monkey Habituation experience
Day 4: Return to Kampala/Entebbe
Today we bid farewell to Mgahinga Gorilla park.
After breakfast, we drive back to Kampala, Entebbe or place of your interest.
We Stop for lunch on the way and we can have another stop at the equator for souvenirs before reaching your destination in the evening.
- Golden monkey -> Wikipedia
- Golden monkey -> Uganda Wildlife Authority
- Gorilla trekking
- Mgahinga National Park
Mgahinga National Park Accommodation
What You need for Trekking and Tracking
- Water: Gorilla trekking and Golden monkey tracking can be very tiresome and you need to refill your tank as the trek goes on. It is advisable to park a few water filtration tablets before you come for the trek.
- Boots: You will need good waterproof comfortable shoes. Some times it rains during the trek, so skid proof shoes can come in handy.
- Rain Jacket: You are advised to carry rain jacket because it rains very often in Mgahinga forest
- Snack: You can carry a light snack to give you some energy during the walk in the forest
- Trouser and Shirts Mgahinga forest is covered with thick undergrowth, therefore light trousers and long sleeved shirts are advised.
- Socks: You will have to tuck in the trousers into the socks to avoid insects crawling inside.
- Gloves: You will need Gardening gloves because you will be grabbing tree branches, leaves, name it, and some can be thorny.
- Camera: Carry a good camera (no flash for gorillas) to capture this lifetime experience